So you bought a boat with a bimini – Congratulations! At Buxton Marine – the #1 boat dealer in North Texas – we are excited for you to spend good times ahead on the lake with your friends and family.
And now that you’re a proud owner of that bimini, the service department here at Buxton Marine in Lewisville, Texas as a few tips on how to maintain and operate your bimini for long-lasting fun:
Extend the life of your bimini and enjoy it for years to come with these simple bimini maintenance tips:
- Washing the Bimini: Remove any debris from the bimini as soon as you notice it. A couple times a season (and for sure at the end of the season), give the bimini a good bath using lukewarm water and soap. Biminis should always be hand-washed and then air dried to retain shape and size.
- Check the Fittings: Before hitting the lake, make it a habit of inspecting the bimini fittings to make sure they are good and tight. If you notice any loose or broken screws, screw them back down immediately or replace. You’ll also want to do the same inspection of the hold-down straps.
- Stow When Not in Use: By stowing the bimini when trailering or not in use, you are reducing the chance of unnecessary warping or rips that can reduce the life of your bimini.
Bimini Boat Safety Precautions
Biminis are great – if you operate correctly! Follow these guidelines for safety when using biminis on the lake:
- Know the Wind Speed: High winds and biminis don’t mix. If the wind is strong, store the bimini for another day.
- Test for Max Speed: After installing the bimini, give the boat a little gas and see how it performs. Watch for any fittings or straps that are loose and flapping, and do not operate until they are fixed. Also – watch for the speed at which the bimini flaps so much that it isn’t safe, and either stay below that speed or stow at that speed.
- Handle the Bimini with Care: Carelessness when towing can cause unnecessary damage to your bimini. Be sure to follow guidelines for storage to make sure unsightly rips do not occur.
We hope these bimini maintenance and safety tips were helpful to you today as you prepare for another great season on the lake! If you’re interested in learning more about biminis – or checking out a beautiful boat that has one! – come see us at Buxton Marine in Lewisville, Texas, proudly offering the best boats from Nautique, MasterCraft, Tige, Supra, and more of the leading wakeboard boats on the market.