The weather is warming up in North Texas, and we’ve got our eye on the lake.
If you’re looking to take the plunge into boat ownership, it’s important to consider that there are more boat expenses involved than just the cost of your boat. Buxton Marine recommends that you evaluate your budget and make sure you have room to cover all of the costs below, before purchasing a new or pre-owned boat:
- Insurance: It seems like every major purchase comes with insurance costs. You’ll want to make sure you insure your boat to protect your investment, and it will be absolutely required if you are financing it. Chances are, your Lewisville boat dealer can provide some insight into who will have the best rates in addition to other boat expenses in this realm.
- Routine Maintenance & Service: In order to ensure your boat stays in tip-top condition, you’ll want to abide by the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule. This generally means a 10-20 hour inspection, and then maintenance every 50-100 hours of boat time.
- Gas: This boat expense is expected, but gasoline prices can add up, as you spend more time on the lake. Keep in mind that you’ll need to budget for gas for both your boat and your tow vehicle. Hopefully, you have kind friends who will pitch in to help!
- Boat Storage: Maybe you are lucky enough to have a large garage or some other boat storage at your home. But for most Texas boat owners, boat storage at home is not an option, so you’ll need to budget in storage at a local marina or warehouse to cover boat expenses.
- Registration: Don’t forget that you’ll need to pay annual registration fees for your boat and trailer!
- Launch Fees: Many lakes require launch fees before entering the water. Keep this in mind so there are no surprises upon arrival.
- Boat Upgrades: Already eyeing an upgraded sound system or other accessories? These features add up, so you’d be wise to add these all up front and wrap them into your cost or add gradually along the way.
Once you feel that you are ready to take the plunge into boat ownership, come and see us at Buxton Marine in Lewisville! Even if you’re still in the dream phase, we’d still love to visit with you! Our lot is full of beautiful boats from Nautique, Correct Craft, MasterCraft, and more. We are proud to be the best boat dealer in Lewisville, Texas!